Thursday, May 27, 2010

the whole foods experiment

My whole foods experiment continues. So far I have learned that there is an art to making perfect granola. Too long in the oven or not enough honey and it is way too crunchy for my tastes. Thankfully I have one of those husbands who will pretty much eat anything, so my granola experiments are not a total loss. I have learned that greek yogurt is amazing and can be used in so many ways. Why is this stuff not everywhere?

Thanks to an unfortunate diaper bag incident I am now painfully aware of the differences between organic fruit snacks and those you find in the cereal aisle at the local grocery store. After leaving fruit snacks in the car during the hottest week of the year so far, I found myself in the grocery store with a very cranky Matthew and in great need of a yummy diversion. The first bag I opened were "gummy bunnies", as Matthew calls them- organic bunny shaped fruit snacks. The poor little bunnies were completely melted together into one large, colorful bunny ball. The "gummy fire trucks" that I buy at the grocery store were fine. Totally fine. Not melted together, not even sticky. They were fine. Good Lord. How many preservatives must be in these things? Those organic bunnies are expensive, but so worth it.

The edamame in the individually packed single serving bags did NOT go over well with Matthew when I snuck them into his lunch box. I even told him they were green nuts, which prompted him to east one, at least. Well, not exactly eat one. He put it in his mouth and then spit it out and gave it right back to me. He does, however, like his soy yogurt.

Tonight we try home made risotto. Ingredients include squash, yogurt, veggies... and real risotto- no boxed pasta for this family!

No comments:

Post a Comment