Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Men Who Are Moral

Recently I have been thinking a lot about a quote. I cannot remember the exact quote; I am not even sure who said it, although I think it was John Adams. To paraphrase, the quote states that the constitution of The United States of America was created for men who are moral and follow God. If the men of this great country are not moral and do not follow God, the constitution will be of no use to anyone. I can't seem to get this quote out of my mind...



It does make sense. All those years ago, when this document was first conceived, the world was certainly a different place. Take the right to bear arms, for example. When this constitutional right is offered to men of high moral character, men who follow God, it makes sense. But when this right is offered to men, and now women, who are wandering around out there in their own personal haze, following no moral code, then it is understandable the chaos that ensues.

I guess I am glad that I am not one of the people in a position to grapple with this issue. Preserve the constitution, uphold it, and yet attempt to make decisions that will also maintain safety and fairness. It seems to me that everyone griping about our constitution not being upheld needs to take a long look around. Maybe the problem isn't what it seems. If we are no lomger moral, if we are no longer following God, then maybe the constitution and all the laws we are bound by are not the problem. Maybe the problems starts at home, with what happens every day inside the privacy of our lives. Perhaps that is where we should be looking for the solution. At home.

No comments:

Post a Comment