Monday, July 12, 2010

rain today brings memories of yesterday

Don't you just love the rain? A few weeks ago Brad and I were hanging out in the living room late one night when it suddenly started to rain. Hard. A huge downpour, the kind that usually doesn't last very long. Suddenly my husband was up and off the sofa, racing upstairs. There is just something about laying in bed, the house quiet and dark, the rain hitting the roof. Suddenly we were back in our first apartment. No central air meant the windows were always open, which made for great rain listening. That apartment had the most awesome front porch- second floor, covered, the large trees in the front yard offering shade and privacy. The perfect place to sit back with a cup of coffee, close your eyes, and listen to the rain. We had a lot of great conversations on that porch, we made a lot of amazing plans there. We still own that house and every time I am in that apartment I check out that porch and am reminded of the strong and loving start to our marriage it helped to create.

Last week I found myself racing in the rain to the door of one of the communities in my portfolio. My wet feet were sliding around in my wet sandals, forcing me to walk very gingerly so as not to fall in the parking lot. Which would have been horribly embarrassing. And wet. As I was slipping through the rain I suddenly felt the assisted living in front of me melt away and downtown Columbus come into focus. I was transported back to the day that Brad and I had to go downtown to complete one of the thousand steps to China. I was wearing these awesome sandals that I had bought years before for our honeymoon. As we left the government office building and headed to our car parked on a side street a few blocks away, the sky let loose and it began to pour. Already weakened by years of wear the strap on my sandal gave in to the wetness and snapped. Even with taking both sandals off so I could run in the rain we were still soaked by the time we made it to our car. Those of you who know me well know that I absolutely hate to get caught in the rain without an umbrella. I am constantly being told that I "won't melt". This time, though, I just collapsed on the car seat, laughing. It was such a joyous occasion, one that was bringing us one step closer to China, so my mood was already good. And seeing us both looking like drowned rats was just funny. It was laugh out loud funny.

I love it when something happening today, right now, in the moment, transports me to a place in my history, reminding me of a seemingly mundane moment long gone, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment